NYDC was established to strengthen the community and enhance the local tradition of pulling together to get things done, with a focus on making North Yell a better place to live, work and visit. From the outset the group identified the importance of Enterprise, Initiative and Self-Help, which continue to be our fundamental principles.
The objectives of NYDC are:
1. To relieve poverty and unemployment among the residents of North Yell
2. To advance education among the residents of North Yell, particularly among the young and the unemployed
3. To promote and/or provide training in skills of all kinds, particularly in skills that will assist
residents of North Yell in obtaining employment
4. To promote/establish and operate other schemes of a charitable nature for the benefit of the community of North Yell.
5. To promote trade and industry, for the benefit of the general public
The historic boundary of the North Yell Development Council is East of a line drawn between the head of Gloup Voe in the North and Basta Voe in the South. North Yell is home to the Cullivoe Marina, Cullivoe Industrial Estate, Garth Wind Farm.